The Policies Housing Retail Transport Green Infrastructure Community Heritage Employment Infrastructure Design
Policy ME1: Protecting Employment Allocations
The employment land allocations at North East Malvern (10 ha) and Malvern Technology Centre (QinetiQ) (4.5 ha) will be protected for future employment development. Development for employment uses must be brought forward in a phased manner along with residential development on the allocated sites. Proposals that reduce the employment land allocated on the sites will not be supported.
Policy ME2: Provision of Small-scale Employment Development
Proposals for new build development and the conversion and/or extension of existing buildings for employment uses by micro- and small-sized enterprises within the existing development boundary will be supported, provided it meets all of the following criteria:
1. It is appropriate in scale and design to its surroundings and its context;
2. It is acceptable in terms of highway safety and capacity, car parking and delivery space; and
3. It does not have an unacceptable adverse impact on the amenity of neighbouring residents or occupiers.
Policy ME3: Existing Industrial Estates
A. A proposal for employment development and redevelopment within the NPA’s existing industrial estates will be permitted provided that it meets all of the following criteria:
1. For development within Use Class B1, B2 and B8 unless the criteria for Part B or C of this policy can be met;
2. Is of high-quality, sustainable design and of a scale compatible with the Industrial Estate and adjacent uses;
3. Is appropriate in terms of its impact on the capacity and road safety of the local highway network including providing sufficient car parking and service and delivery areas;
4. Provides opportunities to travel by non-car modes (bus, cycle and walking) for visitors and employees; and
5. Does not have an unacceptable adverse impact on the amenity of neighbouring residents and occupiers.
B. Development for non-B1, B2 and B8 use classes at the existing industrial estates will only be allowed in exceptional circumstances where it can be demonstrated that the proposal meets all of the following criteria:
1. The continued use of the premises or site for employment use is no longer commercially viable and that the site or premises has been marketed for at least 12 months for that or any other suitable employment use;
2. It would be compatible with existing retained employment uses;
3. It would be considered ancillary to the principal B1, B2 and B8 use of the premises or site;
4. It would not limit the range, choice and quality of B1, B2 and B8 employment land available to meet future employment needs; and
5. If for A1-A5 Use Classes, the proposal will not impact on the vitality of the Town and District Centres within the NPA.
C. Proposals for a like for like replacement of an existing non-B1, B2 and B8 established use within one of the Industrial Estates will be acceptable providing all of the following criteria are met:
1. It should be for the same use class as the existing established use;
2. It should be of a scale and design compatible with the character of its surroundings;
3. It should have sufficient parking and service/delivery provision and appropriate vehicular access arrangements; and
4. It should create opportunities to provide improvements to non-car modes of travel to and from the site including pedestrian, cycle and public transport.