The Policies Housing Land Retail Land Transport Green Infrastructure Community Infrastructure Heritage Employment Land Infrastructure Provision Design Visual Amenity Sustainable Development
Policy MR1: Town and District Centres
Proposals for new town centre uses (Use Classes A1-A5) and social, cultural and leisure uses (Use Classes D1 and D2 Non-Residential Institutions and Assembly and Leisure Uses) within a single use or a mixed use development within the NPA’s town and district centres as shown on the Key Diagram and at Figure 5.9 will be considered favourably provided they meet, where relevant, all of the following criteria:
1. are of high quality design providing active frontages to key pedestrian routes and, where possible, enhancements to the public realm;
2. provide safe vehicular and non-vehicular access and where possible, achieve off-street servicing and delivery areas and parking provision;
3. are compatible with adjacent land uses and not prejudice the amenity, lawful operation, viability or future development of existing businesses; and
4. do not have a significant adverse impact on the amenities of residents living within or adjacent to the centre.
To be supported, proposals for the change of use of units in Use Class A1 (shops) within the NPA’s neighbourhood parades, as identified on the Key Diagram and at Figure 5.10 to non-A1 uses must meet the following criteria:
1. a) The shop use is no longer commercially viable and it has been demonstrated that the premises have been marketed for retail use for at least 12 continuous months; or
b) There is an alternative equivalent retail unit within safe walking distance to the local community; and
2. It will not have a detrimental impact on vitality and viability of the neighbourhood parade demonstrated through the proposal not resulting in:
a) two or more non-A1 retail units in a row; and
b) less than 50% of all units within the parade being in A1 use; or
All proposals must demonstrate that they will not have a significant adverse impact on the amenities of residents living within or adjacent to the neighbourhood parade.